Monday, February 20, 2012

Beer&Rum

What is better then a nice cold beer and rum cake as part of your dinner on a Friday night after a long day at work.  If I had a coal fired pizza maybe, but there was none so this made do.


This is probably one of my favorite beers, its an organic strawberry ale from England.  I get this at Total Wine which is a huge independent wine superstore.  They carry over thousands of fine wine from different regions of the world, and a great selection of special microbrews and a few thousands spirits as well.  Every time I go in there I check to see if they have in stock this specific one because they don't get it in that often and when they do it flies off the shelf.  This particular time I went this was the only one they had left.  Its a good beer to have either at the beach on a hot day or during the evening, when your sweet tooth kicks in.  Refreshing fruit beer thats bubbly almost like a Lambic, the strawberry flavor is not overpowering and its sweetness balances out just right with the bitterness, its just right.  They also have an organic cherry and raspberry but the strawberry one is by far my most favorite.

Here is a close up of the front label.  If you want to try something different and original this is a must.


And then to finish the night was a homemade rum cake given to me by a Trinidadian friend of mine whose family made a big batch of it and she was kind enough to let me try some.  The rum overpowered the cake taste but it was done so in a very good way and it even had bits of dried nuts and fruits in it that gave it a good texture.  Yum! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment