Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwich



I was starving and once again I just threw this together finding whatever what was in my fridge.  I always make a large amount of my homemade raw organic spinach pesto just to be able to have it already prepared and ready to use for later on during the week.  This time I did not have any walnuts so instead I substituted them for some almonds.  The pesto came out just as good or even better.  I did not use my regular sprouted grains bread or whole grain bread that I normally use to prepare for my sandwiches.  Instead I used a slice of fresh cuban bread.  I convinced myself that the other healthy ingredients in the sandwich would make up for it.  Apart from the pesto I also quickly whipped up a balsamic goat cheese spread that consisted of an aged balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, goat cheese, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne pepper.  Simple as that then I just thinly sliced the tomatoes, cut the fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano, and started to assemble the sandwich.

Recipe:

Cuban Bread
Raw Organic Spinach Pesto (http://thedirtandthesea.blogspot.com/2012/02/homemade-raw-organic-spinach-walnut.html)
Goat Cheese
Parmigiano-Reggiano
Thinly sliced tomato
Balsamic Goat Cheese spread (read above for the recipe)

If you wanted to you could just eat it cold as it is and it would still taste marvelous.  But if your in the mood for an extra warm crunch to your sandwich then just turn on the stove to a medium-high heat and add a little extra virgin olive oil with pepper to a flat surface cooking pan.  Once you see the oil has gotten hot put your goat cheese sandwich on the surface and with a plate or spatula press down to flatten it a bit.  Cook both sides for 30-45 seconds or until a nice light brown color appears.




Here is my ooey-gooey end result of the crunchy, creamy and fresh grilled goat cheese sandwich.

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment